By Suzanne Mathia
LIGHTROOM CLASSIC – LIGHTROOM CC
Lots of changes announced this week and confusion, worry and misinformation are rampant. This happens with any new changes. We all get very comfy with the familiar and resist change vehemently.
At the same time we have also been complaining loudly about the speed of importing, culling and developing inside the current model. Adobe listened, and have drastically improved the speed of the interface while giving us some great new tools. They also added an entirely new platform to the Lightroom “Eco-System” By separating the two products, they are allowing Lightroom Classic to focus on the strengths of a file/folder based workflow, while Lightroom CC addresses the cloud/mobile-oriented workflow.” The new names are: LIGHTROOM CLASSIC and LIGHTROOM CC
I have been working with the upgrade and I am ecstatic with the improvements.
“Lightroom Classic CC is designed for desktop-based (file/folder) digital photography workflows. It’s a well-established workflow solution that is distinct and separate from the new cloud-native service. For professional photographers who want all the Lightroom Classic capabilities to support their own very specific workflows as they are now.Your Lightroom is now called Lightroom Classic.
Speed – reviewing and culling with the speed and efficiency of programs like Photomechanic or On One browse because Lightroom now uses use the imbedded jpg for fast loading. When you select the Embedded & Sidecar previews option, you can scroll through a large set of images quickly in the Library module and also perform 1:1 zoom quicker. The rendering of Embedded previews is prioritized based on the folder you are viewing. For example, if you import and add images to multiple folders, you can immediately begin scrolling through the images as they get added.
TIP: on import select Embedded and Sidecar for best performance
Performance and stability enhancements
Enhanced in this release of Lightroom Classic CC
- Application loading time
- Catalog upgrade and compression upon import and export
- Faster import with Minimal, Standard, 1:1 Previews
- Faster image selection upon import with Embedded Previews.
- Smart Preview generation
- Switching from Library to Develop module
- Rendering of images in Library and Develop modules
- Scrolling through images in Library and Develop modules
- Improved brushing and slider movements
- Deleting Collections
- Loading of faces in the People view
Bigger standard previews – wide of monitor default – was 2000 pixels now 3840
Export metadata without camera settings option – You can export All except camera raw info if desired.
- Fine control over selections with Color and Luminance Range Masking tools.
- Auto-masking with better noise reduction by updating to Process Version 4 (Current) under Camera Calibration
- Filter Criteria in Smart Collections: Title – Is Empty or Not Empty and Lens Profile – Applied or Not applied
- Metadata preset for the export dialog – All Except Camera Raw Info. This helps you to conceal the settings or changes you had made from being exported.
- Filter Criteria in the Import dialog – File Type. This helps you to quickly remove certain file types if needed.
- Better handling of multiple batches of merge operations (HDR/ Pano) improving GUI response
- Preview generation of recently edited images (in last 2 days) during idle system state. This is applicable for Batch Editing use case, using Sync Edit functionality.
Color Range Mask
After making an initial selection mask on your photo with Adjustment Brushes or Radial Filter/Graduated Filters, use Color Range Masking to refine the selection mask based on the colors sampled within the mask area.
Luminance Range Mask
After making an initial selection mask on your photo with Adjustment Brushes or Radial Filter/Graduated Filters, use Luminance Range Masking to refine the mask area based on the luminance range of the selection.
Smoothness = feathering Click and drag eye dropper for color range
So far I am absolutely loving the import interface speed and the new masking features are a real game changer!
For most users and those happy with the current system – no need to adopt the cloud based version at this time.
STOP HERE…..Update and be happy
For those interested in the Cloud Based system
No folders – date based that you don’t control
Sensei keywords – content search
Image analysis capabilities will continue to improve
Manage across any device at any location
Version 1.0 now
No pano or hdr
Get to know new LRcc first – Take for a test drive using duplicate copies
DOWNLOAD A PDF COMPARISON Comparison chart and additional info from Victoria Brampton – The Lightroom Queen
Eventually, I may end up using a hybrid of both systems but primarily I am a desktop user and for now I’m just using the new and greatly improved CLASSIC!
If you have any questions or constructive comments, please let me know.
Suzanne Mathia is an Instructor with Arizona Highways Photo Workshops